Monday, February 24, 2014

My Accomplishments

What a weekend!  I went on a retreat with the women from our church!  Lots of fun, lots of laughter, and lots of Bible study.  I came home yesterday afternoon feeling rejuvenated and as if I could tackle anything that is out there.

I have to share one funny story- we stayed in a retreat center.  My bed was an interesting one.  You know how beds can get those big, concave lumps where people have slept or sat a lot over time?
My bed had the concave hollows on either edge of the bed.  They were significant hollows.  It was a double bed, and there was a tiny space down the middle that was firm, and provided enough support to almost sleep.

The only problem was that every time I rolled over, I would hit the edge of the hollow, slide and "bonk"...  I was on the floor.

Then, I was wide awake.  Since I was up, I'd start the entire bedtime routine over again, take a drink of water, go to the bathroom, lay back down, start to fall asleep, roll over onto my side and "whump" - I was on the floor once again.

It made for an interesting night!

I spent Weds. of last week at a legislative advocacy day with our denomination.  I enjoyed meeting other people of the same faith.  I met the Bishop of our conference.  That man is an astounding public speaker.  I don't often enjoy listening to people speak, but I could have listened to him all day long!
I was assigned to a group that approached a legislator about our issue.  I enjoyed speaking with the legislator, and hearing his thoughts.  While we will never be able to change one legislators mind on an issue in a 10 minute meeting, we can present the church's stance on the issue, and listen to his thoughts.  We met with a very well spoken legislator who had given serious thought to the issue, but had not yet made up his mind about what would best represent the views of his constituents.  It's an exhilarating day, and a unique opportunity to participate in the democracy in which we live. 

I substituted two days this past week.  Not as many days as I wanted, but it's actually good news, because the weather has improved enough that we were able to have school again.

My meals were provided on the retreat.  Not too sure what husband and daughter did while I was gone, not too sure I want to know. 

I cooked from scratch every day I was home.  Again, not too sure what husband and daughter did over the weekend, not too sure I want to know!

Husband is working on the new floor in the hallway.  It's a beautiful laminate.  It's been a week since he started on it, and he's making progress.  The end of the hallway down by the bathroom is tricky, as the hallway narrows significantly and quickly before it dead ends in a linen closet.

I made a huge batch of taco seasoning from scratch.  I store it in an old spice container.  Since I make it myself, I know that there is no salt in the seasoning, and there are no "extra" ingredients added to prevent clumping or whatever reasoning they have for adding some of those questionable ingredients.

You can find the recipe for the taco seasoning mix that I use: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-i/.  All Recipes has several other taco seasoning mixes listed.  This one is my particular favorite.

I'm getting the list together for a major grocery run on Friday or Saturday.  I would like to plan for groceries for a month out, but since daughter is a vegetarian, I do need to shop for veggies a couple of times a week until the farmer's markets open back up again at the end of March.  For now, I'm going to do the big run this week, and then I'll make stops at the store once or twice a week after that to pick up more veggies for her.  We do try to eat what's in season, right now, that means we are eating a lot of the big "winter" squash.  They are good, but I'm ready for some fresh lettuce!

It's chilly here in the Mid-Atlantic, but at least we didn't have any new snow on the ground overnight!  We're still heating our house with both electric heat and the wood stove.  We're quickly getting to the point where I'm going to heat solely with wood and turn the electricity off.  We're supposed to have a return of an arctic air mass this week.  Once it blows itself out, then I'll turn the electric heat off and heat solely with wood.

Have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment