Tuesday, February 4, 2014

New Glasses


It's been five years.  The dreaded "you're getting old" note from the MVA is coming, letting me know that I have to have a note from my eye doctor stating that I've had my eyes checked in the last year before I'm allowed to renew my license.  Seeing as that note will be coming in July, I decided to be a little proactive, and get this taken care of early in the year so that renewal will be easy come July.
 
Of course, I need new glasses.  Even worse, I need bifocals.  I went ahead and got progressive lenses so that it won't be quite as obvious that I'm wearing bifocals.  (Although, the attempts to line up my glasses with the music in the choir loft on Sunday morning should have made that fact clear to anyone who was awake enough to pay attention.)
 
I'd never really been a fan of my old glasses.  They are round frames.  I have a round face.  It just seemed like too much "round" all in one small space!


These are my old glasses.  Honestly, for a pair of glasses that are 5 years old, they don't look bad, do they?


But look at the sides.  You can see the wear on the ear pieces.  The paint has peeled off of the metal.



Finding the glasses was a little harder than I expected.  Most frames are now those "hipster" plastic frames.  Yeah, no thanks.  I wore those plastic frames back in the 70's and the 80's.  I really don't care to go back to them.  Nothing is worse than plastic frames on a day when the humidity is running close to 100%, unless if it's the constant feeling that your glasses are sliding down your nose, and no matter how many times you push them up, they're going to keep falling down! 

Sadly, it's harder than you'd think to find a nice looking pair of metal frames right now as most of the frames are plastic.  Fortunately, we were able to find something I liked fairly quick.


These are them.  Pretty, aren't they?  They are Vera Bradley glasses.  (not a plug - it's what I could find!)
You can't even tell that they're progressive lenses!



Look!  The paint is intact!
I wish you could see the beautiful pattern on the outside of the frames.  It's a golden brown, dark golden brown pattern.
Simple and understated.
No matter how many times I tried, I just couldn't get the pattern to show in the picture!


The new frames!
There's a little bit of bling, just past the metal "y" on the frames.
 
The first couple of days with the progressive lenses was difficult.  My optometrist had warned me that I would have problems since there was such a difference between the previous prescription and the current prescription.  I did have a couple of days of headaches.

I'm still having trouble adjusting to the fact that I don't have to pull my glasses halfway down my nose and look over the top rim to read something.  Sunday morning was a hoot --- trying to line up the "reading" area of the lenses and see the choir director at the same time.  If he hadn't kept moving around so much, I might have had an easier time of things!

I was warned again and again to be careful going up and down stairs... that distances are deceptive with Progressive lenses, and I would trip and fall unless if I really made a point of putting my head down and looking at the stairs through the top part of my glasses. 

I learned that lesson quickly when I was walking out of the optometrist's office and out to the car.  I went to step down off of the curb to get out to the car and promptly fell off of the curb as I underestimated the distance from the curb to the pavement.  Lesson learned.  Besides the injury to my dignity, I was fine.

However, I do think my dignity has been permanently damaged.  Between falling in the parking lot at Wal-Mart on Thursday on a patch of ice, and then falling again with new glasses on Friday, I'm thinking the dignity might not ever recover.  Good thing I was wearing jeans and not a dress!

The biggest problem with the new glasses?  I can see all of the little bits of dirt and other stuff that I was missing before.  I've spent more time cleaning over the last few days.

Having said that, I'm off to go wash that pile of dirty dishes in the kitchen sink!

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment