Monday, February 3, 2014

My Accomplishments

It's been a couple of weeks!  We still had month left at the end of the money, so we were extremely creative.

We were able to put gas in both cars to get husband to work every day.  If I didn't have a sub job, I stayed home and worked on stuff around the house.

We've had some interesting dinners in the meantime:
Fajitas in Rice Wrappers
Baked Beans
Refried baked beans made into flour tortillas.  (I made the tortillas from scratch)
Veggie Soup
Pasta Fagioli
Arroz con Pollo
Veggie Stir Fry
Baked Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese
Roasted Potatoes
Waffles
Scrambled Eggs

Hubby got paid on Friday, the first things we did was go out and buy groceries.  We focused on the staples: sugar and flour, olive oil, lots and lots of root veggies: carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes, etc.  We also bought some meat, and it is safely tucked in the freezer, waiting to be used.

Last weekend, another one of my girls pulled off her Gold Award Project.  I spent the day with her, yet again amazed at the initiative, innovation, and enthusiasm of this young lady.  He project ran most of the day.  It was awesome.

I subbed for three days, and took oatmeal for lunch each day.  A very inexpensive meal, it has "staying" power, and keeps you filled up for hours.

Yesterday, I stopped by the grocery store and checked out the "seconds" of fruits and veggies.  I found six pounds of brown bananas for $1.  We are putting the brown ones into smoothies first.  The bananas are pretty heavily spotted, so we'll use the most heavily spotted ones first.  If they start to turn brown really fast, then I'll peel whatever is left, slice them and freeze them for smoothies.

We had a load of firewood delivered yesterday.  We got most of the wood stacked up under shelter, which is a good thing, considering that it is snowing again today.  We've got a warm and toasty fire going in the woodstove.  Hopefully, this will help keep the electric bills for heating down.

On Friday, I took the checkbook down to the college.  I bought textbooks for the oldest child.  Four hundred dollars, 3 textbooks.  Two of the three were used textbooks.  Two of them will be used next semester, so he won't have to pay for them next semester.  (But, there will still be more textbooks next semester.)  Still an outrageous sum, but I'm glad we paid cash.  We don't have to worry about paying for it when the credit card bills come in. 

We had a date at the dump on Saturday.  Since everything today is shut down because of the snow, we're going to spend the afternoon cleaning out some more of the basement.

Right now, daughter and I are watching Sherlock on PBS.  We're having a hard time getting moving this morning!

Have a wonderful week!


No comments:

Post a Comment