Tuesday, February 11, 2014

You Know...

I grew up in the Mid-West.  Ohio, Illinois, and Oklahoma.  We had Snow - with a capital "S" when I was growing up.  I remember snow that came up above the roof of our one story house in Ohio.  I remember when we lost power - but it really didn't matter that much because the snow came well up past the halfway point on our house - and insulated the house from the worst of the cold.  I remember being able to open my window and grab a handful of snow to throw a quick snowball at my sister - inside of the house.

Snow and winter in the mid-west is different than snow in the Mid-Atlantic.

In the Mid-Atlantic, we typically get snow once or twice a year.  We'll have flurries on other days, but everything comes to a screeching halt when snow is in the forecast.  I usually laugh and carry on, and I enjoy the weather.

I revel in snow days.  It's a chance to enjoy the snow, and a great opportunity to spend time together as a family.  We bake, we play games, we go sledding.  In general, we have a ball.

A couple of years ago, we had Snowmaggedon - a series of winter storms that dumped a bunch of snow on us.  We missed well over a week of school, and had a ball hanging out together, watching old movies, and reading.  It was great!

And now, the weather forecast for the next few days is coming out...

 

image: http://www.footsforecast.org/


Wow.

I'm quoting directly from Foot's Forecast here:
 LEFT: Latest precipitation projections show 1.0-2.5 inches of liquid stretch from Louisiana to Maine for the period Tue 2/11 to Sun 2/16, suggesting a possible subtropical moisture feed (known as an "atmospheric river") may be a factor this storm's outcome.

Preliminary reports are coming in with the words "significant impact".

This is going to be awesome!

Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment