Thursday, February 27, 2014

Tales from the Classroom

The nicest thing about the better weather is that I've been able to get back into the classroom and see some of my favorite kids.  As always, the kids are wonderful, and I have some wonderful tales to tell...


I was working with a reading group of 5 kids, and we were discussing what kinds of books they like to read.  I heard "Scooby Doo", "Lego", "Junie B. Jones", and then, this little guy chimes in with "I like the ones that have pages in them.  It's better if they have words on the pages, too."

A 7 year old and I were discussing the new terminology used in subtraction.  You might remember it as "borrowing" or "regrouping".  Right now, the kids are decomposing numbers.  This young man had been working with his Dad the night before, and he was attempting to regroup the numbers, and he tells me "Now, back in the day, they used to..."  I laughed so hard, I never heard the end of his sentence.

And this little gem, from another second grade friend.  I'd been working with him in Special Ed. I dropped him off in his room and helped him get settled.  As I stood up to leave, he looked at me and said "Bye, bye, sweetie, you have a great afternoon!"

There are days when working with the kids is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment