Tuesday, April 22, 2014

An Incredible Act of Kindness

I was in Kohls on Saturday, looking at shirts when a woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked "Do they have fat women dresses here?"

I turned and looked into the eyes of an older woman.

The woman standing next to me looked over her shoulder and said "You're not that big!  What size do you wear?"

"I wear a 24.  I need something black to wear to my daughter's funeral, and I don't want to wear pants.  I want to wear a dress.  I have a black dress at home, but I didn't bring it with me.  I'm from Pennsylvania."

The woman standing next to me answered "I agree.  You're in luck.  I happen to have a closet full of clothes that are a size 24.  I have at least one black dress."

And then, before anyone could say anything, she whipped her cell phone out of her purse and called home, and we all listened, astounded, to the following conversation:

Honey, I need you to go into my closet and pull out all of my black dresses.

Yes, every single one.  I'm at Kohls.  Could you bring them all over here right now, and meet me in the parking lot? 

No, it's an emergency, and don't go into it over the phone, just bring everything.

I left the conversation as the two women exchanged a hug, and the older woman began to cry.  Her daughter in law was standing behind the group, looking astounded.

As I left the store, I saw the two women outside.  I heard the woman as she pulled the dresses out of the car and hand them to the daughter in law:

Take them, take all of them.  I've just lost 50 pounds, and I don't need them.  Find something you like.  Everything else, donate them to Ruth's Closet or the Rescue Mission for me.  Does your daughter in law know where those places are?

Just an amazing act of kindness.  Neither woman knew each other, and yet, one person was able to take some of the burden off of the other person, and take away one of the worries of a horrible situation through one very profound act of selflessness.

God bless both of those women.  The one who had lost her daughter, and the one who gave someone else some peace of mind.

Little things like this give me faith in humanity and the world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment