Thursday, April 17, 2014

Random Pictures

We made it home safe and sound yesterday afternoon.  I'm slowly getting myself into the mindset for Easter.  Daughter and I are going to visit the labyrinth at a local Catholic church this afternoon, but before then I'm headed out to go grocery shopping - the boys are both coming home for the weekend, and I need to have food on hand when they walk in the door!
 
The back of my heel is slowly getting better.  No infection has set in, that's the best news of all!  It's still a mess of loose skin and new, raw skin, but the Neosporin has been doing it's job and keeping bad bacteria at bay.  I could actually sleep with the weight of a blanket on top last night.  Right now, I'm sitting on a chair with my foot propped up on a footstool, and I can actually put the back of my heel against the footstool cushion.  It's progress!  (I'm still not certain I'll be able to put my shoes all the way on though.)
 
Below are some pictures that I took while we were in New York that I wanted to share.  I took a lot of them!  I love the city, it's a beautiful place to visit!
 
 
 
This picture and the one below are from the independent bookstore
across the street from the Fashion Institute of Technology.
Wonderful people!  The owner and several of the employees
talked to us at length about the school since the school was closed for break.
Can you image a book store full of craft supplies? 
I swear to you, my daughter had to literally drag me out of the store!




One of those beautiful little pocket parks that are scattered everywhere.
Tiny oasis of green, dwarfed by the huge buildings surrounding it.
We stopped here and ate our lunch on Monday.


The Queens Borough Bridge.
We didn't drive anywhere in the city, we walked.
We got out of the subway and were attempting to find Central Park.
We missed!
Two NYPD officers who were walking their beat directed us in the correct direction.
(Six or so blocks in the OTHER direction!)


The library in one of the schools we visited.
I tell you, the libraries in New York are amazing.
I thought our libraries in the suburbs were great,
but they don't have the grandeur that some of the libraries in the cities have.


Adorable, isn't it?  This is a part of a series of sculptures entitled
Life Underground by Tom Otterness.
Statues like these, and others are scattered throughout one subway station.
Now, don't ask me which station.  I don't have a clue.
We were transferring from one line to another, and this was the last stop for the L line.
If you go to New York, it's worth finding which stop this is, just to see the entirety of the collection!



Grand Central Station.
It was smaller than I expected it would be, and it was busier than I thought it would be!
If you look closely in the center of the picture, you can see the big round lit clock.
It's on top of a round information kiosk.


The reference collection in the Grand Central Library.
 


The reading room in the Grand Central Library.
My words fail me when I attempt to describe this place.
I had to sit at a table for a while and just soak up the atmosphere around me!


We finally found some cherry blossoms!
Snow on the ground when we woke up, and cherry blossoms
swinging in the breeze- the first day they were open up by the Hudson River!










No comments:

Post a Comment