Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Computers and Privacy

So, I have a web cam on my computer.  It came with my computer.  I promptly covered the webcam with a piece of paper, and taped it down.  I haven't been able to completely cover the microphones, but they are muted by the combination of tape and paper.  My kids thought I was nuts when I did it, but I noticed the last time that the boys were home from school, they had taped over the cameras on their laptops, also.

Why did I do this?  Well, I remember the things we, as teenagers, used to get into in the 80's.  I took one look at the web cam on my computer and idly wondered if someone could hack into my computer and access the camera on my computer and see the inside of my house.

No sooner did the thought cross my head than I had the tape and paper out, across the camera.  Flash back to earlier this week, when I heard that a family woke up to the sound of someone screaming at their baby. It turns out someone had hacked into their web cam in the baby's room, and they were screaming at the baby to wake up.

I often wonder what, if anything, can be accessed on my cell phone.  I no longer carry my phone with me to the grocery store since I heard that marketers were now tracking your phones through the store, and sending you offers on your cell phone for merchandise, based upon your location in the store and your shopping history. 

That seems like a pretty huge intrusion on my privacy.

Have you noticed that there is currently a case before the Supreme Court about cell phones?  This case is challenging whether or not police can search your phone for your information without a search warrant.  That's just the police.  Imagine if you left your phone somewhere, and a stranger were able to access your account information.

Think about the information you keep on your cell phone.

E-mail?  GPS?  Facebook?  Bank Accounts?
I've got my totally wicked Angry Birds and Tetris games.  My e-mail, oh, and wait...Pinterest!

However, I know people who have more, so much more on their cell phones. 

Did you know, if you have an Apple phone, your phone sends updates to Apple, letting them know how you are using your phone?  What other information are they sending to Apple, and how are they using it?

I know, we live in an age where very little privacy exists anymore.  However, I like to keep hold of just as much of my privacy as I can.  I really don't want all of my daily moves tracked by someone, churned around with a whole bunch of numbers, and handed off to marketers somewhere in order to market to my interests and needs.  And then what?  Once the marketers get all of that information together, then what?  What ELSE do they do with that information?

Gives you pause, doesn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment