Monday, February 9, 2015

A Little of This... and a Little of That

Skin Biopsies-
No cancerous cells were present.  The mole on my arm was an "Atypical Mole".  These are the kind that most commonly turn to skin cancer.  All of the margins of the mole were removed, along with some "extra" just to be on the safe side.  The wounds still hurt, but I am so glad to know that there were no problems.

The Cats-
In general, the cats drive me nuts, waking me up at 5:30 in the morning, chasing hairbands up and down the hall all night, and squabbling on the bed somewhere in the middle of the night.  But then, we have a moment like THIS:

Luna (left) & Tiger (right)

Water Glass-
Daughter asked this question the other day: "Mom, why do you keep a mason jar full of water - with a lid - next to your bed?"
Me: "I keep the glass full of water next to my bed so that I can get a glass of water if I get thirsty."
Daughter: "But why do you keep the lid on the jar?"
Me: "Because I went to get a drink of water in the middle of the night and got a sip with a stink bug in it."

Reading-
Do I really read this much?  Or am I listening to books on tape?
I am actually reading every word of every book I list on here.  I am a fairly quick reader.  I have my Kindle, and I not only read books I've purchased on my Kindle, I also check out electronic books from my public library.  Getting the software up and running was a little more challenging than I was expecting to begin.  When I took my Kindle into the Library, the very helpful librarians showed me how to set up and access my account.  God I love my librarians!  They are awesome!

I know, you're asking: Do you actually understand what you're reading?
Excellent question, actually.  I do have excellent reading comprehension.  Had it tested when I was in college as a part of an Educational Testing class.  Comprehension is a crucial part of reading.  I really move fast when I'm reading fiction with a fantastic plot.

My Kindle!

Informational texts or textbooks are another story.  I've slogged my way through a factual text from work that I hope to review on here tomorrow.  It's an interesting book, and has expanded my knowledge of the field that I work in considerably.  But, as with all factual textbooks, I have to read slower so that I can make certain that I understand what I am reading, and I will go back and double check what I've read and find definitions of new terminology.  This book has had a lot of rereading and definition checking.

Social Media-
I had been a member of an online group for our community on Facebook.  I found myself getting sucked into unnecessary drama, and was sitting as an observer when someone would post something, and other people on this site would attack them, their spelling, their career, their lack of education, you name it... the insults, bigotry, and racism were just too much to bear.  If you stood up and said "Hey, you're out of line", you were the next person up in the line of people to be attacked.
When you looked at the content of what was being posted, it ranged from "What is the best nail salon in town"  (we have 16 of them) to "Best Chinese Food in Town?"  We have two establishments that serve Chinese Food.  You'd think trial and error would work... All the way down to personal insults about the way people drive.
Finally, on Saturday morning, I made the decision to drop the drama, and I left the group.  My Facebook Feed now only has posts from my friends and family, and I have no drama.  NICE!!  That was the reason I joined Facebook in the first place!

Lent Madness-
IT'S BACK!!!  If you are a Christian, Lent Madness is one of the best ways to celebrate Lent.  6 crazy weeks of face-offs between Saints.  Every day, you read the story of a Saint of the Christian church, from the early years of Christianity to the modern day.  It is a fascinating read as you read and find our more about the people who's faith has brought us to where we are - for better or for worse.  Lent begins in just 9 days... are you ready? 

Lent Madness 2012 
Click on the button to go to the website.










No, the SEC does not reimburse me in any way for sending web traffic their direction.  But, I do get notifications in my news feed on Facebook each morning letting me know of the previous days' decision.  Nice of them, don't you think?

Have a fantastic week!

Disclosure Notice:  Mini-Van mom is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program.  The picture of the kindle above is a link to my Amazon Affiliates account.  Your purchase through this program will support this site.  Thank you for supporting Mini-Van Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment