Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Falling Into Winter

So, I've fallen twice now - in less than a week.

On Friday, I went out to go pick something up with the kid.  I didn't want to go up the driveway - getting out of that driveway is a nightmare.  So, while the kid ran up to the door of the house, I got out of the car and stood next to the car while she ran up to the house.  At one point, she turned around and yelled a question to me.  SO, I got out of the car and walked around to the side in order to answer her question.

I turned to walk around, took a step.. and the next thing I knew... BOOM I was up to my knees in water.

It turns out that I had been standing on the ice on a ditch.  Evidently, that final step forward was just enough to break through.

You know, you'd think getting out of a ditch would be easy.  Turns out, getting out of a ditch filled with ice cold water up to your knees, with your feet embedded in a few inches of thick, dark goo-like mud is a bitch.

Somehow, I got out of the ditch before the kid and her friend got back to the car.  Somehow, I managed to hold onto the car keys.  (I think that's the bigger accomplishment here.)  And, because I'm a nut who likes to be prepared for most anything, I had a towel to sit on in order to keep the car seats mud and water free.

Fast forward to yesterday.

I went to a meeting at the American Cancer Society Offices in the afternoon.  If you live on the East Coast at all, you know that it's been bitterly cold here.  The sidewalks have been heaving up.  I wasn't looking where I was going when I walked out, and BOOM... I was pretty much flat on my face.

My knees are a beautiful shade of blue and purple and green today.  They haven't looked like this since the last time I went ice skating.

Come to think of it, the ice skating was more fun!  (And "fell down ice skating" sounds a lot better than "fell down walking"....)

No comments:

Post a Comment