Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Book Review: The Root of Chinese Qigong

Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming.  The Root of Chinese Qigong.  1997.YMAA Publication Center, Boston Mass, USA.

This book is a fascinating look at the "whys" of Qigong, and how it helps clear your channels and thus helps you prevent a build up of bad energy within your body that can cause the body to get sick.

With an eye towards Western Medical practice, the authors explain how Chinese Medicine works/ relates within the understanding of Chinese Medicine.

I found this a fascinating read.  While I am not versed in Eastern Religions, the authors did a thorough job of helping me understand how the different Qigong practices relate to meditation, prayer, and Eastern religious practices.  There is also a lengthy explanation of the history of Chinese Medicine and Qigong.

This book does not give the layperson the tools to develop their own Qigong practice.  Instead, the in-depth explanations give you the why's behind why certain moves are done, and the safe way to do these moves.

If you are interested in Eastern Medicine, or expanding your knowledge of Qigong, this is an excellent book.

For me, this book has given me a better framework for the field in which I now work.  It gives me enough of a grasp of the field so that if someone comes up and asks me for books about Qigong, I know enough to be able to ask the follow up questions and related search terms to help them find the book.

Am I going to start practicing Qigong?  I would if I could find someone who taught a class and guided me through the exercises.  I am fascinated by the thought that some simple movements will help keep my body moving and healthy for a long time to come.

One point made in the book, which has stuck with me, regards longevity.  To paraphrase: the body that moves lives longer than the body that sits around.

That's a truism worth taking to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment