Thursday, February 12, 2015

Nice to see you, too.

I'm just going to state up front that this is a rant.  If you don't feel like listening to the rant, just close out the window and come back tomorrow morning for something completely different.

I had a meeting at Panera Tuesday night.  I was meeting with a group of several other people.

I walked in the doors, saw someone that I used to work with, waved at her, and went to sit down at the table with my friends.  I had just pulled out my pen and paper, and we had fired up the laptop that had the information we needed on it when this former co-worker came over to "join" use.

Let me give a little bit more background information here:
I worked with her for 3 years.  I left that place of employment 7 years ago in order to substitute teach.
For 3 years after that, we were both part of a knitting group that met every Wednesday.
Since the group dissolved, the leader of the group has gone through a very ugly divorce, and another woman is getting ready to have open heart surgery that she might not survive.

So... when my co-worker came over, I was expecting her to say "How are you?  It's been so long!!  What have you been up to lately?  How are the other girls in the group?"  Or, possibly some such variation on that theme.

Nope.  She came over to sit down and tell us about this unique business opportunity she and her husband were offering, and how we had the opportunity to "get in on the ground floor." 

Can you say pyramid scheme?

I politely explained that we were just getting started with our meeting, and she walked off.

An hour later, our meeting was over and we were talking about an incident one of our kids had recently had.  Co-Worker comes back over, stands there through the entire duration of the story (it was a long one), and then gives everyone her phone number so that we can all "take advantage of this unique opportunity".

As she turned to leave our table, the bitch in me finally came out.

"Nice to see you, too."  I said. Without any acknowledgement whatsoever, she just kept walking away.

Rant over.  Thanks for listening to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment