Monday, June 15, 2015

Book Review: Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis

Putnam, Robert D.  Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis.  2015.  Simon and Schuster, New York, New York.


Book Review:

By God, this is a sobering look at life in the United States today.  I believe that this book is a must read.  Each and every one of us has a stake in the future of the United States - it is OUR future - these are the kids who will someday be the adults who are taking care of us and running our world as we age.  What is going on in our society bears close scrutiny by everyone.

This book begins by comparing the stories of children growing up on both sides of the "track" (good and bad side of town) during the 1950's and now.  The author takes a harsh look at the opportunities available for kids during the 50's, and today in three separate areas of the country.  He balances his look at the trends in society by looking at race and demographics.  His findings will surprise you.

In addition to looking at the "American Dream", he takes a long hard look at the impact family structure has upon our children's growth and development, as well as the schools they attend, the communities in which they live, and makes some very honest assessments about what we, as a society, can do to help.

It's a fascinating look at life in America today.  I know I am very isolated by my own world view and since I've stopped working in the schools, I don't see much beyond my own little world.  My view of society and children has been rather tainted by that I was teaching in the same rural/suburban county in which I live.  We have some of the societal ills mentioned in this book here, but we don't have all of them.

Find this book and read it.  This book is heavily based upon fact, and is well researched.  It is important.  We all need to take a deeper look at what is going on down the street from us.  Whether we like to admit it or not, these trends will impact all of us in a few years.
 

Author's Web Site: http://robertdputnam.com/

 This post contains links to my Amazon Affiliates Account.  
Your purchase through this link helps to support this blog.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment