Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Grocery Expenses Week of 5/16-22

Expenses:

Chick-Fil-A:  $5.08 (I admit, I'm an addict.  I love their grilled nuggets.  What can I say?)
China Dragon: $29.95
South Mountain Creamery: $22.17
Grocery Store: $31.79
Grocery Store: $7.34
Butcher Shop: $45.49

Total for the Week: $141.82

So, my expenses were under for the week.  WHEW....

I still racked up $35 eating out.  I've got to cut that habit out, but it's so gosh darn easy to let someone else cook for me when it's so darn hot outside.

A couple of notes on our expenditures:
I buy our meat directly from a butcher.  The animals were raised locally, and butchered on site locally.  I know the animals were well taken care of, and there is no huge slaughterhouse industry involved.  I pay a little more for our meat, but since we don't eat a lot of meat anyway, I feel it is important that what we do eat by of very high quality.

Same goes for the creamery.  Local dairy, local cows.  I like to keep my money local, and support my local farmers.  They struggle enough as it is.  The more I can buy direct from them and keep my money away from some middle man, the better!

We volunteer at our local food bank distribution once a month.  The upside to this is that at the end of the distribution, there is always fresh produce that has to be given out to the volunteers before it goes bad.  We ended up with 2 heads of cabbage, a big bag of carrots, and a bag of potatoes.  I see some fantastic dinners in front of us!

Some of the meals we had this past week:
Pinto Bean Soup
Tacos from Pinto Beans
Pizza (crust from scratch)
Hamburgers/Potatoes/Watermelon
Scrambled Eggs with assorted fresh produce cooked in  (not quite a fritata)
Spaghetti with even more produce tossed into the sauce - as well as some mushrooms from the farmer's market.

A Last Thought:
With the heat we have today, and the Energy Saving Day in effect with the power company, we are going to have a salad for dinner tonight.  I'll be stopping at one of the little farm stands on my way home and will pick up about $5-$10 worth of fresh produce.





No comments:

Post a Comment