Friday, April 1, 2016

2016 Resolutions - April Update

Can you believe it's April already?  Things are springing up everywhere here - flowers, flowers, and more flowers.  It's beautiful - unless if you suffer from seasonal allergies!  Today is also April Fool's Day.  My father married his second wife on this date in 1988.  Irony?  Who knows?

Onto my resolutions for the year!

1) Remodel the Hall Bathroom
This is the third year on the hit parade for this one.

2) Improve My Health
I'm no longer looking at just the number on the scale.  I'm looking at the big picture numbers that reflect more of my overall health.

a) Lose inches off of my waist.
My goal was to lose 3 inches this year.
I'm down 2 inches.  ONE MORE TO GO!!!  I would love to hit this marker before June 1. 

b) Get my blood pressure down into the normal-normal range.
Check up coming at the end of the month!  I'm looking forward to seeing my numbers now that I've gotten healthier!

c) Go down at least one clothing size.
This is a pretty phenomenal accomplishment.  I've spent a lot of time working this off!  I'm very proud of myself!
The next goal?  To get OUT of the plus size section and buy clothes in the "normal" section.

3) Re-start my vegetable garden.

4) Learn to pressure can.
I've since discovered that a pressure canner will not work on my glass top stove.  It's back to the drawing board while I try to figure out how to work around this problem. 

5) Daughter's Quilt
The pressure is on with this one!  She's in the Community College now, but will be heading off to a 4 year school in the fall of 2017.  The quilt needs to be finished by then!

6) Clean Out and Organize the Carport
The weather is getting nicer!  I should have this checked off the list by the end of the month!

7) Exercise Consistently
HOORAY!  I am meeting this goal!  I have lost inches, I have lost a clothing size!
Keep it up!  Keep it up!

8) Clean out 23 Things a Month
Holy cow, I never thought this was going to be as easy and painless as it has been.  I'm feeling freer the cleaner the house gets!  Getting rid of junk is a great thing!  I've tracked down people who can use these items, so not everything has just been dumped somewhere.  This month, I found both a public library friend and a teacher friend, and gave them each a car load full of stuff that they will be able to use.  I took my clothes that are now 2 sizes too big on me - and I donated them to a women's shelter.  (When women run for safety, they usually take the clothes on their backs and their kids.  Nothing else.  Hopefully, somebody will be happy to have something to wear.)

Items out of the house this month: 300
Items so far this year: 1,148
(So close to  my goal for the year, and it's only April!)
Big Black Trash Bags (total): 6


9) Participate in the NoSpenduary Challenge
I originally found this on the Frugal, Debt Free Life Blog.
We continued with the challenge through March.  We have 4 wisdom teeth being extracted in May - so we're keeping up with the challenge until after that's paid for.  It would be really, really nice to pay for that with cash!

10) Visit One Place on my Bucket List
Phase One- completed (We know where we're going.)
Phase Two- ongoing, almost finished

11) Get at least half of the CEU's I need to keep my teaching  and my library certificate.
 I worked to hard to get those certifications to just let them lapse!  It's never fun to take classes, but it's even LESS fun to have to retake all of the classes for a certificate you let lapse.  (Or worse - to retake a mandatory test.  I'm thinking of the Praxis exams.  I took the NTE's back in the 80's.  I'm not sure how well I'd do on the Praxis exams if I were to have to take them now.  Especially since it's been more years than I want to admit since I've sat in on college classes.) 

12) Scrapbooking
I need to catch up.  I know I had years that I didn't do this.  I went through all of the albums this month and found the years that I have not yet finished.  These are the years I am in search of:
2006
2009
2010
2011
2012
2015

I had a rather harsh realization this month.  2012 was the year that my iPhone crashed and died.  I had not done nearly as good of a job with uploading my photos as I should have.  Daughter took over my camera in 2011, and I switched over to using my phone exclusively.  As a result, I lost almost all of 2012 when my phone self-destructed.  Fortunately, I have some pictures that were stored on Facebook.

On the plus side, the 2012 album isn't a very big one...

Lesson learned the hard way - back up your photos frequently.  And back them up to at least 2 online 3rd party servers, in addition to your own hard drive.

13) Walk or Bike a portion of at least 6 Rail Trails
The weather is starting to get nicer!  I can't wait to get out and hit a few trails soon!  I have plans for tomorrow already!

14) Pay off the big debt and one smaller one-
The big debt is gone.  It's nice to have one monkey off my back!  Before I go to work on the smaller debt, I desperately need to rebuild the emergency savings account.  If you remember, it was depleted over the course of a dental emergency and a car repair.  We have wisdom teeth coming up, too, so building up that emergency savings now is crucial.

15) The Recipes Tab
I nicely fixed up the recipe tab so that it is easy to find recipes that I've posted on here before.  For me, this is my online recipe book.  Some of the recipes are my own.  Some, I posted direct links to other sites.  You might or might not choose to use it, but I use it on a pretty regular basis, and I've found out that one of the boys does, too.  He likes the fact that most of what I've listed is food he already loves and that everything is fairly easy to make and budget conscious.

So, how are you doing with your resolutions this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment