Monday, April 18, 2016

Monday Musings

Did you ever decide to abdicate all responsibility for the weekend?  Or at least a day?  This was the first nice weekend we've had in a while.  Who wouldn't want to abdicate all responsibility?

Daughter and I found a huge consignment sale over the weekend.  It was solely for clothing, and many of the items were new - with tags still on!  Daughter picked up one gorgeous blue lace dress for $5, and I picked up 3 brand new shirts for $20. Where else are you going to find designer clothes, with the tags still on, at 3 for $20? 

We cooked in every night this past week.  I tried recipes out of the new cookbook I picked up at the used book sale.  Not all of the recipes were great - some were a swing and a miss - but it was very nice to try some new tastes!  I've got other new and interesting recipes from that book lined up for this week!

I'm working on putting in vegetables in some unexpected places this year.  I know from sad experience that an actual garden doesn't work well for me.  I'm hoping that if I can make the vegetables a part of my landscaping, they'll thrive more.  As a result, I'm looking for places that are closer to the house, that I'll hopefully remember to water!   The current garden location is so far away from the water spigots that I have to haul water in buckets out to the garden on a daily basis.  It gets to be a problem, and I end up forgetting that they're out there. 

Daughter gave me a gorgeous butterfly plant last year for mother's day.  This year, I put in a zucchini plant on either side of the plant - I'm hoping that the pollinators will be attracted by the butterfly plant and stay for the zucchini.  This creates a small triangle of space - I'm trying to decide whether I should attempt to put a vegetable there along the hypotenuse or if I should put in more flowers.  Whatever I do, I need to fix it so that husband doesn't

In the back yard, I have a hole where we used to have a pond.  It's a small hole - the pump kept breaking, and with the looming threat of mosquito borne illnesses, we decided to pull out the pond.   We're going to fill in the hole and plant something.  I've been debating between an herb spiral and a strawberry tower.  I think the herb spiral would look a little more at home with all of the mixed perennials I currently have in that spot.   The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards an herb spiral. 

It finally got warm enough that we've been able to turn the heat off in the house.  Honestly, I've turned the heat off two other times this spring, but I think this time is FOR REAL.  I'm hoping I won't need to turn it on again until the end of October, beginning of November.

My favorite little farm stand opened up this weekend.  I stopped in on opening day and picked up a bushel of spinach for $4.  We've been nibbling on it all weekend.  I cut it into scrambled eggs, put a leaf into my smoothie, made strawberry spinach salad, and used it in place of lettuce in my sandwiches and on a hamburger.   It was so good!  I've still got about a quarter of the bushel left.  I'm going to have to find something fun to make with all that green goodness for dinner tonight!

I'm looking forward to the warm weather we're expecting this weekend! 
What great things did you accomplish this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment