Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Happy Birthday Beverly Cleary!

If you're of a certain age, I'm certain that you have read at least one of Beverly Cleary's books.  These timeless classics not only capture the essence of childhood, the highlight timeless themes: friendship, family, love, perseverance, and laughter.

I was introduced to Beverly Cleary's books by my 4th grade teacher when she read "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" out loud to us after lunch.  When I became a teacher in my own right and had my own 3rd grade classroom, I read the children Ramona Quimby, age 8 in that cool down time right after lunch and recess. 

Today is the 100th Birthday of Beverly Cleary.  She is still active, engaged, and her mind is still sharp.  From the information I could find online, She has been publishing since the early 1950's, and her most recent book was published in 2005.  (When she was 89 years old.)  I hope that I can remain that active and relevant when I am her age!

In honor of Beverly Cleary's birthday, I challenge you to find a copy of one of her books and read it - either to yourself, or out loud to your favorite little people.  Enjoy the opportunity to spend some time together and to be taken back into a time that (to me) seems a little bit simpler.

Books Authored by Beverly Cleary:
(List from Google)

Beezus and Ramona
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Ralph S. Mouse
Ribsy
Ramona the Pest
Ramona Quimby, Age 8
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Ramona and her Father
Ramona and her Mother
Ramona's World
Ramona Forever
Ramona the Brave
Henry and Ribsy
Ellen Tebbits
Henry and Beezus
Henry and the Clubhouse
Henry Huggins
Muggie Maggie
Henry and the Paper route
Fifteen
Otis Spofford
Socks
Strider
A Girl from Yamhill
Mitch and Amy
The Luckiest Girl
Emily's Runaway Imagination
Two Times the Fun
Jean and Johnny
My Own Two Feet
Sister of the Bride
Janet's Thinamajigs
Runaway Ralph
The Real Hole
The Growing Up Feet
Petey's Bedtime Story
Lucky Chuck
the Hulabaloo ABC
Henry and Ramona


A few links to some websites and news stories about her:

Beverly Cleary's Website
The New York Times Article:  Happy Birthday Beverly Cleary!
The Today Show: Beverly Cleary is Beloved by Generations of Readers

No comments:

Post a Comment