Thursday, April 21, 2016

Donated Library Books

People will frequently donated old books to the library.  Libraries take these books, and then they add those to the collection that are needed, and the rest are sold to benefit the library.  One of my jobs over the years has been to sort through the donations.  It's a fun job, and I always enjoy looking through (and reading) the books.

My library recently received a large donation of books.  I'm not the person in charge of wading through this collection, but I have enjoyed looking through the book sale books before they go out.  This particular batch had a lot of cookbooks.  There's a Weight Watcher's cookbook from the 70's, a South Beach Diet cookbook, and then one in particular that stood out enough for me to buy it and bring it home.

It's the Full Hearts Vegetarian Cookbook, published in 1993.  There are some recipes in here that I just can't wait to try - the Vegetable Burritos and the Garden Sloppy Joes being the top two.  I especially love that the sloppy joes don't require a processed can of anything.  The last time I had sloppy joes made entirely from scratch was the last time we were out in Minnesota.

However, one particular recipe caught my eye.  It was directions to make a sandwich, submitted by Jerry M.  It requires, bread, butter, cheese, aluminum foil, and an iron.  In short, you butter one side each of two pieces of bread, put the cheese in between the unbuttered sides of bread, and wrap it all in the aluminum foil.  Using the iron set on medium (the kind you iron clothes with) set on top of the sandwich bundle for one minute.  Turn the sandwich over and repeat.  The note at the end of the recipe says "We did this in college when hungry and couldn't cook in our rooms."  Gotta love college students!  No matter when they went to school, they've always found an inventive way around the rules!


No comments:

Post a Comment