Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Tribute to My Trainer

For the last six months, I have invested in time with a personal trainer.  His name is James.

I had always scoffed at people who did the whole Personal Trainer thing, until I needed one.  I started going to a trainer after I was dismissed from Physical Therapy last year.  Twice a week for six months, I met with James. 

I was expecting the experience to be much like The Biggest Loser experience, but it was not.  James was supportive and helpful.  He taught me how to work out safely so that I wouldn't injure myself, and he showed me how to make my joints stronger by strengthening the muscles around my joints.  He encouraged me to try new exercises, and to push myself harder than I had been.  And we laughed - a lot! 

Sadly (for me) James left the gym last week.  He's headed off to Graduate School in Colorado, and I wish him all the best.  He is going to be amazing - and the world at large is going to benefit from his next great step.

Me?  I'm still working out at the gym.  I'm keeping a log of what I do and when.  I'm continuing to push myself, and I'm proud of the progress I've made.

While I've lost weight and improved my overall health while working with a trainer, I feel as if I've discovered the fountain of youth.  By spending an hour in the gym five days a week, spending time on weight lifting and cardio, I feel better than I have in years.  Joints no longer ache.  I have more energy.

Ah... the joys of having worked with a certified, qualified, degreed personal trainer.  (James' degree is in Kineseology, and he is certified in personal training, among other fields.)  Although I spent much of the past six months sore and tired, and questioned the money I was investing in myself, in the long run - it was worth it!  I will keep up the work I have done to date.  At the age of 50, I am realizing that my health is the greatest asset I have.

James, good luck in Colorado!  You are awesome, and I can't wait to see what you do next!

No comments:

Post a Comment