Monday, August 22, 2016

Monday Musings

So about that bucket list...

Even though I started a new job earlier this month, they let me take off last week for vacation. And that's a really good thing, as our vacation consisted of taking an item off of my bucket list: seeing Niagara Falls. Let me tell you, it was great!  I have some pictures I'll be sharing later this week. The trip was totally worth it!


Do we still have the pot?

Oldest son lives in a townhouse with 2 other grad students. He went to school with one of the boys. The other young man they roomed with had taught for several years, and been out on his own before returning to graduate school. They had a great year last year, but the older gentleman decided to move into his own place this year. After he moved out, the boys looked around the now barren kitchen and commented "Wow, I didn't realize how much stuff was his.  Do we still have the pot?"  Son looked under the counter "Yes!"   The response?  Who- Hoo!  We can still make pasta! We're saved!


It never rains, but it pours...

I should have known. I've been half heartedly applying for jobs over the last year. At the beginning of June, when I decided to really look for jobs, I sent out over 100 resumes & applications. I've been to more interviews than I can count. I was offered & accepted my new job at the beginning of the month. Last week, I was offered 3 other jobs. None were as good of a match, I don't regret my decision, but it sure is nice to know that I'm wanted!

Good thing we unplugged everything.  

We always unplug our electronics - or at the very least turn off the power strips when we leave the house. This past week, we decided to unplug everything, including the modem - we even unplugged the DSL connection to the phone line. Good thing, too. We came home yesterday to find out that a lightning strike had taken out the telephone pole at the end of the street.  The thing caught fire.  Our neighbors lost both tvs as well as a computer & the modem. We've had an electrician check the wiring in the house - all is good. No damage to our wiring.  But we're very glad we didn't have anything plugged in!


Why we need the Property Brothers

Husband "fixed" our bathroom toilet the weekend before we went on vacation. We woke up Monday morning to 2 inches of water on the bathroom floor and 4 more inches in the basement. Can you guess what went wrong?  He used the wrong size connection between the tank and the bowl. *sigh*. What a mess to deal with!  We believe it's fixed, but just in case if it wasn't, we turned the water off to the house before we left - AND we drained the toilet tanks, just in case. 

Flowers in the Arboretum at Cornell University.

No comments:

Post a Comment