Friday, March 6, 2015

Glitter Dipped Mugs

With the winter weather we've had this week, I've been out of work for the majority of the week.  I've worked 2 days this week.  In the meantime, I've been hitting up my Pinterest Boards, and working on craft projects.  This is the latest find!  The glitter dipped mugs look beautiful, and I had to try!
The necessary supplies- glitter and mod podge
Since the directions for the mug itself are written on the white house black shutters blog, I am not going to repeat them here.  You can follow the link to see the step by step directions.
Setting up the craft area:  lots and lots of newspaper.


The blue stripe is painter's tape.  Pretty purple glitter on my mug!

The mugs have been glittered - waiting for their layer of Mod Podge.


I do have a couple of very important notes on this.  The blue and green glitter is extra chunky glitter.  The purple glitter is superfine.  While the blue and green looks really cool, the purple is a little more understated, and it doesn't "glitter" the way you think it should.  It's pretty, but it's not glittery.

In her blog, Ann Marie recommends waiting overnight before applying anything over the glitter.  The directions on the bottle of Mod Podge say you can apply a second layer after 2 hours.  Don't do that!  Wait overnight between layers!  I waited an hour, and I applied three layers over the glitter on one mug.  On the other mug, I ended up waiting overnight between layers and I only added two layers of Mod Podge.  I also left the tape on my mug and didn't pull it off.  All big mistakes, let me tell you.  The entire purple glitter layer ended up peeling off of my 3 layer mug yesterday.  I'm going back and redoing the entire thing today.  I'm going to wait overnight in between layers, and I'm going to only put two layers of glitter on my mug.

So, was this a pinterest success or fail?  One mug was a roaring success!  Okay, so it was the one that I followed the directions to the letter.... The other one, I rushed and took a few shortcuts.

I'll claim this as a Pinterest Success Story!

No comments:

Post a Comment