Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Oh, The Places You'll Go!

One of Dr. Seuss' best adult books, I reread this recently.  With both my oldest and youngest children graduating from schools, I felt I needed a reminder of WHY we've spent so much time and effort getting them through school!  (Ha, I know why, but it's always nice to be reminded!)

I do remember having this book read to us by one of our English teachers when I graduated from High School.  Ever since that time, this book has always seemed to me to be a gateway, or rite of passage that must be read and enjoyed at the major milestone events in life.

I had an ulterior motive for reading this book.

When each of my kids has graduated from High School, I have made a special scrapbook for them.

The oldest child is a mathematician.  His scrapbook was a straightforward account of his overachieving years in high school.  Orchestra, Cross Country, Track and Field... I organized the pictures in a straightforward, linear progression.

The middle child is more artistic and creative.  For his scrapbook, I made an "A, B, C" book.  26 pages long, each page was dedicated to a letter of the alphabet, and each letter had a word and pictures that tied into something from his high school years.  That one was a lot of work - struggling to find something for "X" and "Z" was a stretch, but I managed to do it.  I spent a good chunk of the school year pulling together the pictures for that album.

And now, youngest child.  I want to do something different.  (Stupid, stupid, I know.  I could just do an A, B, C book or a straightforward scrapbook and have done with it.)  But no.  I have decided that her scrapbook is going to be based upon the book "Oh the Places You'll Go!"

And so, I re-read the book this past week.  I've decided that I'm going to use Dr. Seuss' words, and pictures that we've taken over the course of her high school career.  I'm also going to see if I can get some of her friends to help by contributing some artwork to the pages.

Graduation is about 10 weeks away.  Will I get this finished in time?  It's going to be fun trying!

(BTW, I'm going to count this as one of my 75 books for the year.  I did actually read it - I had to put it on hold at the library, retrieve the book, and then decide whether or not this idea was a good one!  So, yes, this is one of the 75 books for the year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment