Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Library Junkie

I'm a library junkie, I admit it.  (That probably explains the chosen career path: Librarian, as well as the Master's Degree in Library Science.)

Even though I work in a library, I can never get enough of the place.  OK, not just the library where I work, but any library, anywhere.  We travel to Seattle, and on the second day there, I made my family journey to the Central Library.  Gatlinburg?  One of the most picturesque little public libraries sits by a stream, just off of the main thoroughfare.  Savannah?  Public Library down by the waterfront AND the Library for SCAD, located in a refurbished building.  I have visited academic libraries just about everywhere we go.  Having sent off 3 children to college in the last 4 years, every college tour has ended with me, grilling the library staff about library subscriptions, on and off campus access to their databases, their e-book collections, and to which consortium do they belong?  (What is the average turn around time on a book ordered from another library in the consortium?)  I've frustrated some library assistants beyond words, and had some fantastic conversations with some librarians who have helped me broaden my own understanding of my field, and given me concrete ideas to increase our own access for students.

Bliss of bliss, we had a new public library open not too far from where I work recently.  I went there yesterday to explore and check out books.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get any pictures without people in them, so we'll have to wait until another time when it is less crowded when I can take pictures.

This building is awesome, LEED certified, with all of the bells and whistles that go with it, but what impressed me the most was the rooftop garden - it is intended to help absorb rain and reduce run off into the Bay.  They also have a garden next door to the library that is run by the Master Gardeners.  This beautiful little garden has pathways, herbs, flowers, and vegetables.  The Master Gardeners teach classes in that garden on a regular basis.  What a fabulous way to reach out into the community!

I am a library junkie.  I have worked in public libraries in the past, so I do know the full extent of offerings available through the library, but I thought I would list them again.  These resources are all available for you, for free.  Your taxes go to support your library, and if you are not in your library using these resources,  you should be asking yourself "why" you aren't heading over there more often.

Books - for children, and adults.  Every kind, every size, small print, large print, board, you name it, they have it.

Books on Tape- and CD and little digital play aways.

E-Books - that you can download directly to your electronic device.

English as a Second Language Classes (some libraries, not all)

Computer Classes (most libraries)

Online Access- wifi, and computers

Quiet Study Rooms

Toys you can check out for children (some libraries,  not all)

Science kits, with materials already provided for elementary age children (some libraries, not all)

Magazines

Copy Machines

DVD's

Video Games (some libraries, not all)

FREE CLASSES - story times for children, for adults: crafts, knitting, cooking, gardening, recycling, it's worth looking into!

Farmer's Markets - some libraries, not all, seasonal

Oh, how I love the library.  Many people think that libraries are no longer relevant in the information age.  Really?  Libraries are on the cutting edge of information technology.  Not only do they know how to find information, they love to show you the best, easiest, most efficient way to find reliable sources of information.  Best of all, you are not paying for their services.

Have you checked out your local library lately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment