Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My Resolutions

Last year, I publicly declared my resolutions here, on my blog.  Every month, I checked back in on them.  At the end of the year, I was shocked at how well I had done in actually keeping my resolutions  Even though I had a couple of carryovers from last year, I still kept the majority of my resolutions.  I think coming back and revisiting them monthly did an awful lot to keep me on track!

With graduations fast approaching (2 this year), I am probably not going to do so well with keeping these resolutions through April and May as my focus shifts to getting the house cleaned out enough to have a graduation party!


1) Exercise More.  
While the weather is still cold, the roads are safe.  I've been clocking my miles on my running app on my cell phone. (I walk, I don't run, but the app tracks the distance for me!)  I've managed to cover 9 miles this month.  Not as many as usual, but I've got to build my stamina back up after months of inactivity.

2) Lose 10 pounds.
I am not looking at the scale this month.  I've lost an inch off of my waist.  I'll look at the scale again when I've lost 4 inches off of my waist.  There will be some serious happy dancing on my part when I get my waist down 4 more inches!

3) Remodel the Hall Bathroom.
This is a repeat from last year.  Money is being saved for this project.

4) Finish oldest child's quilt.
 As of now, I have finished quilting 3/6 rows on the quilt.  I still have to do the edging, and I have my doubts about the lattice work inside.  I was looking at it last night, and I just might end up having to go back and quilt in the lattice between the panels.  I'm not thrilled with the way the batting is "poufing" between the quilt squares.  I'm not sure this will be finished by May 21.  My enthusiasm is beginning to wane...and there are so many other things that need to be done!

5) Clean and organize the Family Room in the basement.
It's much cleaner! It still needs a little more work, but I see this room being habitable by Memorial Day Weekend!

6) Cut back on the time I spend on Social Media.
I've fallen down on this one over the past month.  One of my Uncles had a health issue, and I kept up with my cousins through social media.  We all agreed it was great, but now I've got to break myself of that habit again! 

7) Read 75 books this year.
 I'm making some serious progress on this.  I've been blogging about each of the books I've read in this challenge as I go.  I have a page dedicated to the books I'm reading this year.  You can find it on the right hand side of this page, listed as "2015 Book Challenge".  I have reviewed 11 books.  I have 4 more that I need to review.  Like I mentioned yesterday, I've fallen behind!

8) Get out of debt.
Working on it. I believe this should also say "don't add extra debt while sending kids through college."  4 years down with no debt - 4 more to go.  One of our credit cards has been completely retired.  We're working on retiring the second one now.  BONUS - we paid the tuition and housing deposit for youngest child with a check this weekend.  She's going to take a few more classes at the Community College this summer.  We've already checked with the school that she will be going to in the fall, and we know that the credits will transfer, and we were given a list of 100 and 200 level courses that they recommended.

9) Spend more time with my family
Spring break for the college students was this month!  I took three days off to spend at home with my boys.  Unfortunately, they spent 2 of those days with a stomach virus.  NOT the best of spring breaks!

10)  365 Grateful
I will continue to find a way to be thankful for the things I have.  There are a lot of awful things that happen, but I will focus on the positive.  You can lose yourself in negativity.  I've been posting pictures on Flickr, and some on here.  Any way I can find to keep myself positive! 

You can find me on Flickr:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/librarynut/

 11) Replace the car that was totaled.
It needs to be done, even in the midst of paying off loans, a bathroom that needs to be remodeled, and college expenses.  Our Civic has over 225,000 miles on it.  It's a great car, and we keep up to date on the maintenance, but by God, do we need to make certain we have a back up plan!  The van doesn't have nearly as many miles on it, but putting gas in that behemoth is expensive. We had to replace the radiator in the Civic this month.  A $500 investment that will hopefully keep the car running until the fall. 

12) I will maintain my friendships.
 It's an ongoing project, and I am enjoying it immensely! Got back in touch with friends we haven't seen in 25 years this past month.  What a hoot!!

13) Have a few more adventures this year.
 I've had a couple that aren't fit to print... let's just say that I never fail to amaze myself with my own stupidity.  If I can get up enough nerve to totally out myself, I'll write them up.  Maybe.

I did spend a day at the National Library of Medicine down in Bethesda, doing a training session.  Does that count as an adventure?  Getting through security was an adventure!

14) Craft More
 Still working on the oldest child's quilt. I started working on daughter's graduation scrapbook, as well as a recipe book for oldest child's graduation present.

As a result, I've spread craft and paper materials EVERYWHERE in the house!  And Easter is this weekend, and graduation is in just a little under 2 months!  WHY did I put this off for so long?  This should have been done MONTHS ago! 

So, how are you doing on your resolutions this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment