Thursday, March 12, 2015

Just Another Day in Paradise

It's been one of those days. It's warm, and I have the day off.  I headed out with daughter this morning.  She drove off to school, and I walked down to the bottom of the hill to get the trash cans and bring them back up. 

I tuck the trash cans away, and turn around to go into the house.  As Pooh would say "There are 11 jars of honey in my cupboard, and I can hear them calling my name."  Wouldn't you know.  The door was locked.  MY keys were on the hook, just inside of the door.  My daughter's keys had just left with her, headed to school and then the community college.

Not looking forward to spending the day outdoors, I began trudging around the house to see if I had left any windows unlocked.

Lo and Behold - the window over the kitchen sink was unlocked.  Even better - this window is in the back of the house, so nobody would see my attempt at greatness.

The ladder for the kids' old bunk bed is metal, and it was sitting just inside the door of the shed.  (We keep that door locked with a combination lock, thank you very much!)  I retrieved the ladder, and leaned it up against the house, just under the kitchen window.  The ladder wasn't quite tall enough to get me safely into the kitchen window, but it was tall enough to get me close. I figured I could just power my way through the window by grabbing onto the kitchen counter once I got up that high.

Buoyed by an enthusiasm borne of hunger and a need to use the facilities, I climbed up the ladder, raised the kitchen window and began climbing in the window.

There is one problem with climbing in a window over the kitchen sink.  The faucet.  As you get yourself partially through that window, the faucet is right there in the middle, with no place for it to go.

The cats, highly entertained by this spectacle, forgot their animosity long enough to hop onto the kitchen counter and watch me.

There came that moment of faith- when I hung on the fulcrum of the window - my feet unable to push off the ladder, my arms not yet able to reach the edge of the kitchen counter, and the cats, full of concern, began rubbing up against my face as I hung there, unable to go in or out of the window, with the kitchen faucet digging into me.

Finally, I managed to wiggle in enough to grab the edge of the kitchen counter.  I pulled, and the rest of me followed behind.  I somehow managed to turn myself around and not land on the kitchen floor face first.

As I sat on the edge of the kitchen counter, catching my breath, the cats forgot their concern for me.  With noses twitching, they both climbed up onto the window sill, took a look back at me, as if to say "I don't see WHY you always make such a big deal of things" and then hopped out of the window.

Just another day in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment