Friday, March 13, 2015

A Visit to the Doctor

I really don't like to go to any doctor or dentist, but I go because I'd rather be as healthy as I can be and catch anything that could potentially be wrong before I get past the point of no return.

Last year, my doctor put me "on notice" that my blood pressure was getting high.

"If it's still this high next year, we're going to have to take action." 

Last year, it was at 145/85.  Yes, that is high.  Undoubtedly.

Do you remember that last year I made that promise to myself to lose 10 pounds?  And then I lost 20?

I really didn't change my eating habits all that much.  I went from getting large hot chocolates to medium hot chocolates.  If I got a soda, I got a can from a vending machine instead of a bottle.  I picked up my level of exercise a little bit.

So, when I went back to the doctor yesterday, I was very curious to see what my numbers looked like.

I'd only lost 15 pounds according to her records- no surprise there, as I haven't been able to get out and walk at all this winter because the roads have been so dangerous.  (Hey, that's still weight loss.)

My cholesterol is down.  My "markers" for diabetes are down.

Most importantly, my blood pressure is down.

135/70.

That's big!  It's not great.  But it's so much better than it was last year!  It used to be lower, but that is a step in the right direction!  There was no talk of medical intervention with my blood pressure, but there was talk of getting out and walking around more now that the weather is nicer.

My father's family had rampant heart disease.  Every member of his family had heart issues, blood pressure issues, and cholesterol issues.  Dad was the only one who didn't have open heart surgery, and that was only because he was no longer a candidate for any kind of surgery when they found the blockages in his arteries.  So, in order to see a drop of any kind in blood pressure numbers is a cause for celebration and revelry!

And more walking.  Lots more walking.  I want to be the first to break the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment