Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Tale of Woe... Pinterest strikes again....

One of my resolutions this year was to craft more.  I have a Pinterest Board filled with fun crafts and projects, just waiting for me to find the time to work some magic on these ordinary objects and make them into something magical.

So, over the past few months, I've gone through my boards and pulled out a few things that I felt like following through with.  They were quick and easy, and I thought for sure I had the skill level to pull these little gems off.

So, without further ado, here is the update on my Pinterest Projects of the year.

Glitter Dipped Mugs

My original post about the glitter dipped mugs was here: Glitter Dipped Mugs.   The original directions I followed were posted on White House Black Shutters

The appeal of these mugs to me was that they were supposed to be dishwasher safe.  We have a space challenged kitchen, and I hate hand washing anything, so there was definite appeal to me for a dishwasher safe version of this.  

These purple beauties were my original mugs.


The cheap knock off sealant.
If you read through my original post, I talk about a 3 layer mug that I had to redo.  I had also run out of the dishwasher safe Mod Podge I originally used.  So, I went  to my local craft store and bought a different brand of decoupage sealant that claimed to be dishwasher safe.   Moral of the story here, not every sealant is equal.  It's worth tracking down the "official" dishwasher safe Mod-Podge brand sealant from the store. I ran both cups through the dishwasher on the same day.  (I labeled the bottoms with a sharpie with the initials of the product because I was curious if they would hold up in the dishwasher.)  Imagine my utter frustration when I opened up the dishwasher and found that ALL of my dishes, silverware, everything - was coated with a fine layer of purple glitter....


A disaapointing result.  HOW am I going to get the rest of the glitter off of that cup?



Coke Can Succulent Garden

I found this totally adorable garden, along with instructions on Polka Dot Chair.

Cute beyond words, isn't it?



Alas, my black thumb struck again.  Less than a month later, THIS is all that is left of the garden:

And here I thought cacti and succulents could withstand even ME?

Kitchen Organization

We have been challenged for space in this kitchen since we moved into this house 10 years ago.  We don't have the money set aside for a kitchen remodel, so we've been trying to find space within the existing cabinets.  I found this little trick on Pinterest, and it was awesome!  I found some vertical dividers, specifically for pans at a home improvement store.  They are screwed into the bottom and the back of the cabinet.  Voila!  Look at this!  Space!  The cabinet is not wide enough to hold ANYTHING horizontally - pans, pots, etc.  With this one, wonderful little trick, we now have more than enough space to hold the large, long cookie sheets, pans, and cutting boards!  They're no longer sitting on top of the toaster oven! 

Vertical Pans!  Everything fits!


I'm curious.  What Pinterest projects have you tackled, and how did they turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment