Monday, July 24, 2017

Picture Books on my Mind...

I've been reading through the 201-2018 Nominees for the Maryland Black Eyed Susan Awards. 2 of the 3 books below are from the picture book list - Ada's Violin and Mother Bruce.  Both of them are wonderful books!  I would have a hard time choosing between the 2 books - Mother Bruce is a fun book.  With its bright, bold pictures it would make a great read aloud for a group of children.

Ada's Violin is a poignant tale about the recycled orchestra of Paraguay.  Children who live on the edge of the trash dump have no real future - they will most likely grow up to be trash pickers, like their parents.  Until that magic day when a musician moves into town, sees the potential in the kids, and sets about making real musical instruments from the trash in the dump.  This true story will leave you in awe.

The third book is Amanda Panda quits kindergarten.  Now, it has been years since I myself have taught kindergarten, but this book struck a note with me!  My Dad used to run away from first grade when he was in school.  He'd leave at recess time and walk the two blocks to his older sister's office (she worked in the court house for one of the judges).  She wasn't able to leave until the courts closed for lunch, so Dad would hang out with her for a couple of hours before she could walk him back to school.  Just reading the book made me think of my runaway father!    Alas for Amanda, she can't run to the court house but she does quit her class.  If I were still teaching kindergarten, this book would definitely be in my first week line up - if I didn't read it at the orientation before school starts!

If you're a parent or grandparent of a child getting ready to start kindergarten in the fall, I'd recommend reading this book!  It's a very sweet look at the realities of starting school.


If you're interested in finding out more about the Maryland Black Eyed Susan Awards, follow this link:  http://maslmd.org/about-bes/

For the complete list of nominees for the 2017-2018 school year, follow this link:  http://www.bcpl.info/find-materials/black-eyed-susan-award-2017-2018

No comments:

Post a Comment