Monday, July 31, 2017

This and That

Notice: This post contains Affliliate Links

On My Nightstand:
I'm still working my way through Born to Run!  I'm almost finished with it, but it has sucked me in on so many levels.  First, there is the story of Bruce, and his single minded determination to succeed against the odds.  How he managed to survive on less than $20 a week, with little more than his bold, brazen confidence to see him through.

Then, there's the second level that the music and his books speaks to. A much deeper level - and I don't know if it was intentional on his part, or if I'm reading more into his book than he intended.   Many times, Bruce is lamenting the life that he fled from in his songs - the working class life that his parents lived - and how quickly that entire class of life is disappearing.  That working class group of people that was able to live a middle class life with good factory jobs was beginning to disappear in the late 70's and early 80's.(A decline that continues to this day.)    Having recently finished the book Hillbilly Elegy, I see how the tales of despair and hopelessness have become interwoven.  Both Bruce and J.D. Vance are telling the story of the working class - stories that we all need to hear before they disappear.

My favorite kind of reference interview!

I'm looking for a book
said an adorable little girl, who is missing her two front teeth.
What kind of book?  I asked.
Bithcut.
????
Bithcut?  What does bithcut look like?
You know, Bithcut the Dog?
Ahh.... those missing front teeth!   


The Peach Orchard
Look at those pears!
Last week, daughter and I spent our day off roaming through the Pennsylvania countryside.  We drove up to a used book store, stopped by a beautiful library (pictures to follow later this week), and stopped by an orchard.  We are at the height of peach season right now!  I bought a big box of peaches, and I've had to hide them from my family - my crazy family that will put down a box of peaches before I even get a chance to have one.  So, half of the peaches are hidden deep in my fridge, and I've been eating them for breakfast and lunch.  The rest of them were gone within the first hour after my husband came home.




Word of Wisdom

Dr. Scott Parazynski was promoting his new book The Sky Below today on CBS This Morning.  He is the only astronaut to have climbed to the top of Mount Everest. In the course of the interview, he said something that has stuck with me, and I wanted to share as my closing thought:

The pathway to success is non-linear.  You have to accept some failure along the way.
-Dr. Scott Parazynski

No comments:

Post a Comment