Saturday, July 25, 2015

A Week of Big Events

So, this week marked both my 50th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary.  I have hit the point where I've now been married to the same man for half of my life.

Kind of a weird feeling when I think about it for too long.  It's both very comforting and slightly frightening. 

The Comforting Part-
The 25 years hasn't all been easy.  It helps that I married my best friend.  We've had an awesome friendship going for over 25 years now.  (Close to 30).  We met in college, ate meals together, had some classes together, and spent time together long before we started dating.  That friendship has saved our marriage at times when we most likely would have pulled the plug if the relationship had been based purely on lust.  It's been work on both our parts.  I know I'm not an easy person to live with.  I know I can be a trial to him.  I know I go off on harebrained schemes on a regular basis - but through it all, he's been there, patiently waiting. loving me, rolling his eyes at me, and unflaggingly supporting me whether I spectacularly fail or succeed.  (Time has taught him that it's best to laugh about the failures a few days after the fact.)  I love this man of mine.  I am a very fortunate woman to have him as my partner.

The Frightening Part-
I've been on this planet for 50 years.  The past 50 years has been a time of momentous change in the course of human history.  And I have been here for it all.  We've shot men up to the moon and they've taken a stroll on the surface of the moon.  (Apollo Missions).  Electronics have been miniaturized to the point where every person can have a computer in their house.  The computer my father used to work on his Master's Thesis back in 1967 was as large as our house.  He programmed the computer using punch cards.  My cell phone fits in my pocket and has more capability than that computer did.  (Keep in mind, that's the same type of computer that was used to send people up to the moon and back.)  ATM's - and easy access to cash came to every town.  Cell phones, test tube fertilization, IVF treatments, MRI's.  Digital Cameras, Web Browsing and the World Wide Web.  Hybrid Cars, portable defibrillators, and my personal favorite - GPS.

I remember where I was when I found out Ronald Reagan was shot, and I remember watching the Twin Towers come down.

Sadly, great disparities exist in our world.  Disparities that I fear will tear the world apart - and I want a safe world for our children - and our grandchildren to live in.  Not just global disparities, there are also national disparities that have the potential for great change, or great devastation.

No Matter What, I have Faith
Faith that we can change.  Faith that we can make a difference in our world.  Faith that our individual, small actions can add up to great change with great impact.  Personally, I try to act on things that I know I can change that will make a difference to someone else.  I have been very fortunate in my life, and I want to pay it forward.


I believe that we all want what is best for our children, and our grandchildren.  And since we're not mind readers, I believe that the more we talk and get to know other people who might not be just like us - the more we have the opportunity to affect that change.

Help me Celebrate!
This is an invitation - please help me celebrate my birthday by getting out and doing something for someone else. 

I went to Mission Central last weekend to celebrate my birthday. 

What kind of change can we make in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment