Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Quilt is Almost Finished

Only 4 years after my original target date, and after almost 7 months of work, oldest child's quilt is almost finished.  It's a hand quilted masterpiece!  (I think)

This is what the inside of the quilt looks like:
The entire quilt is alternating of these 2 types of blocks.


Now, here's the problem.  I have yet to do the outside border.  It's plain brown, and I need to do something to that edge, but what?  It's a bigger border than I've done in the past, so I have to do something to keep the batting from shifting.  Considering the intricacy of the stitching on the inside, I feel I need to do something special on the outside.

The white stuff is the batting.  I need to trim that down.

But, one problem:  he's moving into his new apartment (out of state) next month.  Actually, in a little less than 3 weeks, he's moving away from home and into his own apartment.  I want to hand that quilt off to him when he moves in.

Once I pin up the edge, this is how much space I'll have left on the brown.


I was debating leaving it open, but I feel that I need to do a little bit more than just a line inside and outside of the edging.  (Where the safety pins are sitting.)  I'm going to use the machine to close up the quilt binding.  And I'm debating using it to sew a seam 1/4" inside the edging, all the way around.

So, keeping in mind that I'm hand quilting the outside edge, and that he's moving into his apartment in a little less than 3 weeks, what would you suggest for the brown border?

No comments:

Post a Comment