Thursday, July 30, 2015

Library Pictures

I'm a librarian.  I am a proud book nerd.  I adore the architecture of libraries.  I also adore the fact that we are fortunate enough to have FREE libraries in this country, that anyone can access.  Thank Benjamin Franklin for that idea.  He believed that an educated, informed populace was crucial to the success of any Democracy.

Up until that time, libraries were largely private, or subscription. The rate of illiteracy among the general populace at that time was horrific, with only the very wealthy able to read, having been taught by private tutors. 

I really do love libraries, and what they do for us, as a society.

I recently found a library I had yet to explore in Baltimore County, in Owings Mills.  It's a gorgeous public library that shares a building with the Community College.

I took a few pictures to share.



A sweet little coffee shop awaits as you enter the building!


Entrance to the library.

Look at those beautiful shelves, and accessible aisles!


Beautiful, diverse collection.


The view out the window from the second floor.  That's a highway, straight back.








No comments:

Post a Comment