Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Grocery Expenses Week of 6/30-7/6/201

There is one advantage to having a colonoscopy.  You don't eat a lot of food!  Since I was confined to clear liquids on Weds and no liquids on Thursday, and was really loopy on Thursday afternoon and evening, the family ate leftovers for dinner on those days.

What exactly was I thinking?



A funny thing happened, though.  My procedure was in the afternoon.  You sign a paper when you leave stating that you won't drive or sign legal documents for the rest of the day.  I really believe that list should also be expanded to grocery shopping the day after.  I was feeling the affects of the drugs for a good 24 hours after my procedure.  Husband and I went grocery shopping on Friday morning, and I came home with an interesting assortment of stuff.  He was the responsible one who actually made sure we had food that we could make into meals.  I was the one who had the scanner and the cart.  He was organizing stuff into bags, and I had my one bag that I was putting stuff into as we went through the store.  Would you take a look at what came out of my bag?  My husband didn't unpack it, he left it for me to discover once all of the drugs were out of my system and I was more fully aware of what was going on.  I remember buying some of this, but not all of it.


Here's the funny/odd thing.  Do you see the amount of gluten laden food?  I CAN'T EAT GLUTEN!! WHAT WAS I THINKING???    And check out that can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce.  Why?  I didn't get anything that would make that into a meal that I can find.  Maybe I thought they'd be tasty with the Cheerios that I can't eat?  At least I managed to pick up gluten free pasta to have with my BBQ sauce....

Expenses for the week:
Grocery Store:  $185 
Target                $24     (Monster Trail Mix, Sprite, and Jello)
South Mountain Creamery $15
(Disclaimer: I don't receive any compensation from South Mountain Creamery.  As I've said before, I am supporting my local dairy industry with humanely treated cows, and have done so for years now.)

Grand Total for the Week:  $224.  Whoa.... I suspect my binge of weird stuff had something to do with this  total.  What am I going to do with the Chilis in Adobo sauce?

What we ate this week:
Leftovers  (and lots of clear liquids on my part)
On July 4th, all of our kids were away at friends' houses, so husband and I raided the freezer, found two steaks and grilled those up and had steaks, watermelon, and corn on the cob.

source: http://www.thekitchn.com
Chicken and Brown Rice Bake:  (A freezer meal) I found the recipe here: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-chicken-and-wild-rice-bake-freezerfriendly-recipes-from-the-kitchn-216431.  Awesome, amazing wonderful recipe.  I can't find enough good things to say about it.  It's become a family favorite.

Spaghetti with husband's homemade sauce.

Pizza, made with husbands' homemade sauce.

Quinoa Pilaf with extra veggies and sunflower seeds.

How did you make out at the grocery store this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment