Wednesday, August 5, 2015

An Ode to an LL Bean Backpack

LL Bean doesn't even make this style of back pack anymore.
11 years ago, oldest child was in need of a new backpack for school.  Previously, I had bought him a "good" back pack from a department store, and it had fizzled out and died within a year.  At that time, he was just beginning middle school, and I had been told that back packs really take a beating through middle and high school - between the book loads and being stuffed into lockers on a daily basis, they just fell apart.   I wanted to buy him a back pack that would last him through high school.  And, I was willing to spend a decent amount of money on this back pack.


I picked this up this morning to take a picture.  No joke, it weighed 30 pounds.
And so, I bought him this bag.  I don't remember how much I spent on it off hand, but I do remember that it was well over $50.  If I remember right, it was around $65.  I couldn't believe that this bag cost so much money.  But, the back packs at the chain stores were running around $40, and they were falling apart on us at the end of every school year.  I decided that it was worth the extra $25 in cost if the back pack lasted at least 2 years.


Damage at the top of the bag.

And last it did.  For the last 11 years, that back pack has been back and forth to middle school, high school, and college classes.  It has carried textbooks.  It has been shoved into lockers.  It has gone along on every scout camping trip, mission trips, and track meets through both high school and college.  It has gone on vacation with us. And finally, it is beginning to show signs of wear.  The zippers all work.  The bag itself is still intact - no holes, anywhere.  Unfortunately, the damage is on the shoulder strap, and I don't know that I have the ability to fix it the correct way.  As you can see in the picture, the straps are ripping on the seam with the back pack.  The stuffing is falling out of the straps, and the fabric is raveling.


With him headed off to Grad. School next week, I made the executive decision that he needed a new back pack.  He said he was willing to see "just how long before this one gave out".  I have visions of the strap giving out and dumping his computer on the ground in the middle of a rain storm.

And so, I broke down and bought him a new back pack last night.  It's another L.L. Bean backpack.  We're hoping that it gets here before he leaves for school on Weds.  The one we ordered cost us close to $65 again.  Which, when you consider the passage of time, really is an excellent price on the backpack.

I found some nylon fishing line this morning, and an upholstery sewing needle.  I hope to have some time this afternoon to see if I can hand sew a patch of some kind into the straps.  Maybe I can fix it somehow?  Because, honestly, this is a kick ass backpack, and I wouldn't mind having it myself!

Disclosure notice:  I received no compensation for this post.  I love our L.L. Bean backpacks.  They last for years.  Yes, there's a high initial cash outlay, but when you have a product that last for 11 years with heavy daily usage, I think it's worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment