Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Grocery Expenses 7/29-8/3

It's been so stinking hot here that I put the crock pots to work. I really didn't want to heat the house up with the oven or the stove top.  The crock pot keeps the heat down low.  We've pulled a lot of food out of the freezer this past week, and I've made a huge pot of black beans.  What we didn't eat, we froze into serving size portions. (Serving size portions for our family is a 16 ounce freezer container - it's enough to eat as a really good soup, and enough to add to something else.)

We hit up my favorite farm stand - where I could pick up a fresh chicken and watermelon, and peaches.  I also got a couple of roasts delivered from the dairy.  Everybody will be home for the next week, and I want food that's going to be able to feed all five of us - and KEEP us full!  I see fajitas, pulled pork, and taco salad in the very near future. 

The $15 chicken provided dinner for three nights.  The first night, we had roast chicken.  The second, I used the left overs to make chicken enchiladas.  (I made a pan of black bean enchiladas for the lactose intolerant vegetarian) and the third night, I boiled up the bones and made a chicken vegetable soup.  (Daughter had vegetable soup.  I cooked up a separate pot, just for her.) 

BTW, I used up some more of the chile in adobo sauce that I picked up when I was still really happy from the drugs after my procedure.  It added a very nice flavor to the enchilada mix.  Chiles in adobo sauce keep for a long time in the fridge.  I ran mine through the mini food processor, and have them sitting in a jar in the fridge.  I have been adding 2 TBSP to everything I cook that has a Tex-Mex flavor to it.  I'm going to freeze whatever I don't finish off by the end of the week in little "dollops" on a cookie sheet.  I'll keep them in a freezer bag and pull them out as needed.

Expenses for the week:

South Mountain Creamery:   $58.39
Local Homestead Products:   $ 36.71
Shopper's Food:                     $ 27.57

Total for the Week:               $122.67

No comments:

Post a Comment