Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Grocery Expenses - Week of 8/19 - 8/25

I'm still looking for a better title than Grocery Expenses.  Any thoughts?  Anything at all?  Steals and Deals?  Food 4 Us?  If anyone has any nice, alliterative title that you'd like to share, I really would like to hear it!

I didn't actually hit up the store that much this week.  We've been hitting up the Farmer's Markets and Farm Stands pretty hard, and I had a huge grocery run last week that should tide us through on the BIG stuff for a few more days.

I've been canning spaghetti sauce, salsa, and made some pretty fantastic oven roasted tomatoes to use in chili this fall and winter.  I added jalapenos to the tomatoes, along with onion and garlic....  Is that what Emeril calls the Holy Trinity - except I used tomatoes instead of celery, and jalapenos instead of bell peppers, so maybe not quite Emerils version of the Holy Trinity, but definitely MY version!

I also picked up a bushel of apples.  The apples are beginning to come in around here, and we are in apple heaven right now!  We ate a lot of that bushel straight up, but I did manage to get one tasty apple crisp made!  The apple tree in our back yard is coming in right now, and I am hoping to get enough apples off of that tree to make apple butter next week.

Here's our expenses for the week:

Local Homestead Products:  $65.93
bushel of apples, 25 pounds of tomatoes, peach ice cream
sweet Italian sausage, gingersnaps, corn on the cob

South Mountain Creamery:  $19.78
yogurt, milk, cheese, and eggs

Farmer's Market:   $14
jalapenos, bell peppers, & garlic for the salsa
sweet potatoes, black berries


Total for the week: $99.71

No comments:

Post a Comment