Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Grocery Expenses week of 8/4-8/17

I really need to find a snappier title for this post.  "Grocery Expenses" just isn't cutting it for me anymore.  I'm open to suggestions, if anyone can think of anything witty... my brain is pretty much fried on the whole creative title thing right now.

I'm combining the last two weeks, because that's just how crazy it's been, trying to move the oldest kid out of the house and into his first apartment.  Insane. How much stuff can a young adult forget?  An awful lot, it seems.  We'll be heading back up in October, but in the meantime he's going to have to make do.

That first week, we ate out of the freezer and hit up the roasts that I had picked up from South Mountain Creamery.  Slow Cooker Fajitas and Slow Cooker black beans and rice served dinner for several night.  I took the leftover black beans and rice, and rolled them into corn tortillas, slathered them over with enchilada sauce, and called them enchiladas on a second night.  We also did a lot of on the run eating due to funerals, viewings, and church meetings.  I'm still not certain what we ate those nights.  (That's a sad statement, isn't it?)

And then came moving oldest child into his apartment.  He still has one paycheck coming from his previous employer, but it will be a month before he gets his first paycheck from the new job.  And, they've got utilities to hook up and rent to pay in the meantime.

As his "congratulations" gift, his Dad and I set him up on groceries.  These were just the basics to get him through the first month or so of school. There's a big difference between setting up a house for ONE and buying groceries for FIVE.  Holy cow, ONE month for him is less than the cost of ONE WEEK for all five of us!  Somehow, over the last 22 years of raising kids, I'd forgotten about that!

So anyway, here we go:

Groceries for Oldest Child: $   95.26
Giant Eagle (for us):            $ 152.74
South Mountain Creamery: $    19.78
Local Homestead Products: $    58.15

Grand Total:                         $ 325.93


Whoa... even spread over 2 weeks that's still $162 per week.

Just one week left until the next one moves out!  The piles continue to grow!  I can no longer access over half of my living room, and the cats are playing an awesome game of "King of the Mountain"!

No comments:

Post a Comment