Friday, November 27, 2015

Frugal Friday

We bought our turkey early in the week, and cooked it on Sunday.  We celebrated Thanksgiving on Thursday with my family, but by cooking a turkey early in the week, we were able to have the best part - leftover turkey- all week while the kids were home!  Since oldest child is headed back to school on Friday, we wanted to make our favorite leftover dishes while he was home to appreciate them!

You would think that eating turkey all week would slow us down come Thanksgiving dinner, but no... it really didn't.

Oldest son got his haircut with a free to new customers coupon that the barber shop handed out when they opened last month.

We made several trips to the library.  We picked up lots of books, as well as some of our favorite television shows and movies on DVD that we can't find in reruns or on Netflix.  I finally found the second book in the Game of Thrones series - A Song of Fire and Ice - on CD so I can listen to it in the car.  It's a pretty massive set of CD's, too.  I had no idea that one case could carry 30+ CD's.  It's bigger than the book itself.

My mother in law made a quilt for my husband years ago before he went off to college.  It's a denim quilt - made of old blue jeans and lined with an old sheet.  The last 32 years has taken a toll on that quilt.  The batting and backing are torn beyond repair.  While the quilt is tied, and lends itself to be easily torn apart and fixed, I do not have the space to stretch it out and tie it together.  Even worse, my sewing machine is not a heavy duty machine - and it is not strong enough to sew the layers together once I finish.

Enter a friend of mine who hates to piece but loves to tie.  We are switching projects.  She is going to tie the quilt together for me - and sew the edges.  I am going to piece her quilt and sew it together for her.  (she hates the miniscule seams involved with piecing.)  I don't have to cut, just sew the top together.  She'll tie it herself.  I swear, I am getting the better end of this deal!

The Festival of Trees to benefit Kennedy Kreiger is this weekend.  I found a discount code, which will take $2 off the ticket price for each person's admission.  I love the Festival of Trees!  It's a wonderful way to get into the holiday spirit, and everything goes to benefit the kids at Kennedy Kreiger. 

(Okay, so I didn't save a lot of money this week, but the kids are home.  What do you expect?)

I hope you are enjoying your time with family!


No comments:

Post a Comment