Monday, November 2, 2015

New Year's Resolutions 2015

It's November.  I made these resolutions 11 months ago.  If I weren't keeping track of them here on the blog, they'd be long forgotten, sitting at the bottom of a drawer somewhere.  I'd look back at them again in a few years, and be filled with regrets for not even trying to keep them.  As this year of "interesting" events comes closer to an end, I am beginning to think that I need to take the "Have More Adventures" resolution OFF of my list for next year!

1) Exercise More, Walk 500 Miles.
This is a massive fail.  Torn ligaments in my ankle these past two months have limited my mobility just as much as the fall that hurt my knee way back in the spring.  Although I'm in Physical Therapy and I've gone back to Yoga, I don't think there's anyway that I'm covering the additional 460 miles I had hoped to cover by the end of the year.

2) Lose 10 pounds.
I have many, many more than 10 pounds to lose, but 10 is a good start.  As of this morning, I have lost  6 pounds this year. Progress, progress.  And I'm happy to see it!

3) Remodel the Hall Bathroom.
We still haven't gotten a plumber in to fix the plumbing yet.  We're having trouble finding a date and time when we can be home when the plumber doesn't already have an existing appointment.



4) Finish Oldest Child's Quilt
Done and done! 



5) Clean and Organize the Family Room in the Basement
Not only have we finished the family room, husband and I are making some significant progress on the big, messy room.  We had hoped to have that cleaned out last year, but it never happened.  No kids at home this year means that nobody has the excuse of needing to be at a kids event instead of working on cleaning out that pile of crap.

6) Cut Back on the Time I Spend on Social Media
Vindication on this goal: According to the article, 7 Everyday Habit that Improve Mood, (Cooking Light Magazine, Oct. 2015), Facebook was associated with a decline in overall happiness.  This is from a 2013 University of Michigan study.  If you've got time, read the entire article.  It's worth it!

The site was associated with a decline in overall happiness and life satisfaction in a 2013 University of Michigan study. - See more at: http://simmerandboil.cookinglight.com/2015/10/28/7-everyday-habits-that-improve-mood-according-to-science/#sthash.Fvwf3bVL.dpuf
The site was associated with a decline in overall happiness and life satisfaction in a 2013 University of Michigan study. - See more at: http://simmerandboil.cookinglight.com/2015/10/28/7-everyday-habits-that-improve-mood-according-to-science/#sthash.Fvwf3bVL.dpuf

7) Read 75 Books This Year
As of today, I am up to 68 books.  I'll be getting to 75 well before the end of the year!  I'm on the waiting list for Jimmy Carter's latest book.  You know, when you start at number 500 on the waiting list, it takes a while to get up to number one!

8) Get out of debt, pay college tuition without going deeper into debt.
We are making significant progress on the next big debt we are paying off.  Have you ever used Dave Ramsey's "Snowball Method" of debt payoff?  He explains it much better than I do.  In short, you put your resources towards paying off one debt, while still paying all of your other bills on time.  As soon as the first debt is paid off, you go for the next one, with the resources you were spending on it before, PLUS the resources you were spending on the first debt.  I'd like to say we'll have this paid off by the end of the year, but realistically, it looks like we'll be paying it off in April or May of 2016.

Thanks to the Maryland Pre-Paid College Trust, and kids who work to make up the difference between the trust, their scholarships, and the final balance, we are not going deeper into debt with college tuition.  Personally, I am thrilled that they are taking ownership of their college education.  When you put that much into it, you tend to value it more.

9) Spend More Time With My Family
Going to visit the oldest one soon.  I can't wait to see him.  He seems to be thriving in Graduate School!  The weekly family Skype calls have been a hoot.  It's so good to see all of the kids at once!

10) 365 Grateful
You can see the images I have shared publicly on Flickr.


11) Replace the Car that was Totaled
Working on this one. I really want to pay off that debt from #8  before we buy a new car, but I'm not sure we're going to be able to hold out until April. The Civic needs a new timing belt, and the cost of replacing the timing belt would be a very decent down payment on a new car.  Just how long do we want to kick this can down the road?

12) I Will Maintain My Friendships
I still have one more friend I haven't seen in a couple of years that I really want to sit down and talk with, and then I can honestly say that I have contacted every person I intended to get in touch with this year.  (As well as a few bonus other friends that I hadn't seen in many, many years.)   We've found fun and unique ways to stay connected, and build stronger friendships.

13) I Will Have More Adventures
 I am marking this one as OFF THE LIST.  October has been the month of physical therapy.  I tore ligaments in my ankle, and I've spent a LOT of time in Physical Therapy this month.  Hoping beyond hope that the tear heals and I don't have to have surgery on my ankle to repair the damage.  I think this falls under the category of "Be Careful What You Wish For"!

So, in addition to the "fun" of therapy, husband and I have had a couple of adventures of our own.  We've been to visit the Central Maryland Apple Orchards, Ball's Bluff Battlefield, and the Western Maryland Scenic Railway.  We've had lots of fun exploring new places this fall!  I just wish I was approved to go hiking!

Ball's Bluff Battlefield


14) I Will Craft More
My nephew is graduating from high school next year.  I have made him a black afghan.  Not sure if it's what he wants or not, but it should keep him warm - and that is the goal, after all!  Luna has developed an abiding love for that blanket, and curls up on it every chance she gets.  I'm going to have to run it through the wash before I give it to him just to make sure all of the cat hair is off!

I've begun cutting the squares for daughter's quilt.  She graduated in June, and I meant to give it to her before she started school in September... I'm a little behind!

Princess Luna is laying on my nephew's blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment