Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Washington Institutions

There are some institutions around Washington DC that withstand the test of time.  Some of these institutions are cultural, like the Kennedy Center and the Smithsonian Museums.

Some are architectural gems, like Dulles Airport and the Washington, Lincoln, and Jefferson Memorials.

And then, there are the personalities that dominate the media in and around Washington.  For anyone who has lived here for any length of time, some of these names are legendary.

Long before Willard Scott began announcing the weather and centenarians for the Today Show, he was reading the weather for WRC Channel 4 out of Washington.

But, since people who live and work in this area spend so much of their time on such hideous commutes, we get to know our radio personalities well.  We spend hours every week listening to them, as they keep us laughing during our daily gridlock.

Harden and Weaver.  They were a legendary radio duo out of WMAL AM 63 back when I was a kid.  Man, I woke up to them for years.  The morning march.  Jackson Weaver was the voice of Smoky the Bear.  (Did you know that?)  Only YOU can prevent forest fires!  The pair of them made my getting up and out the door a little less painful.  I remember one great morning when Weaver got stuck in the elevator between floors, and he proceeded to do the morning broadcast with a microphone somebody dropped down the elevator shaft to him.  Legendary!  One in the studio, one in the elevator, and still a (mostly) seamless morning.  The pair of   Harden and Weaver ended only when Jackson Weaver died back in 1992.  Frank Harden remained on the air for several more years, and eventually retired from WMAL.

Ken Beatrice - who was the voice of Sports Call - also on WMAL AM 63.  This was a sports call in radio station, where people could call in and talk about anything, and Ken had opinions about it all, and was happy to discuss your thoughts with you.  I can still hear his voice "You're next here on Sports Call!"

And then there was Jack Diamond.  He began working at WRQX - Mix 107.3 26 years ago.  Think about this for a second.  26 years in Washington, D.C.  That's a lot of time, and a lot of things have happened during that time.  His loyal listeners adored him and the morning crew.  They kept it fun and laughed a lot, which helped make the morning rush hour a little bit more endurable.  I met him several times over the years, once on his "World Tour" and a couple of times on a Toys for Tots Drive.   He was always very friendly, professional, and genuine.  Even though he doesn't know me from anyone else,  when he would take the time to talk with you, you felt that he was genuinely interested in you, what you had to say, and why you would take the time out of your life to listen to him on a regular basis.  I began listening to Jack on his first day on the air, and was hooked.  I had listened to WMAL, but the AM setting in my car gave out, and I was forced onto the FM dial.  I had been station hopping for a little over a month when Jack started on the air.  After that day, Jack Diamond in the morning was how I began my commute into work every morning.  For 24 years, my mornings began with Jack, through babies, and preschoolers and elementary school carpool drop offs, the Jack Diamond morning show was how I began my day.

2 years ago, Jack was unceremoniously dumped from Mix 107 as the station attempted to go in a "new direction".  Like many other listeners, I began the long dejected search to find a new station to listen to in the morning on the way in.  There are other morning shows, but so few of them were PG-13, without downright dirty and demeaning hosts, or shock jocks, that the pickins were very slim.  I listened to a lot of books on CD, and NPR became the new preset on my radio.  (BTW, NPR doesn't really let you know how big the back up is, or if it's bad enough that you need to find an alternate route.)

Monday morning, Jack Diamond, Jimmy Alexander, and Erica Hilary returned to Mix 107.  It was a happy, happy moment - for me at least.  I've spent my morning drive time listening to Jack's tales of his family and grandchildren.  I've laughed at Jimmy's humor.  And Erica.  What can I say about her?  Her kids are the same age as my kids, many of her struggles are my struggles, and somehow, she's always managed to come out on top and thrive. 

I just want to say to Jack, Jimmy, and Erica - I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK!   My morning commute has been much more enjoyable this week!

To the executives at WRQX, I would like to thank you for putting my favorite team back together again.  I know it is unheard of in the radio industry for anyone to put a team back on the air after they have been disbanded.  From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you for going against the trend and giving Washington back one of it's Institutions.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment