Saturday, November 7, 2015

Smoked Cuban Sandwiches

That pork roast yielded yet another awesome dinner.  Smoked Cuban Sandwiches.  Technically, this wasn't a smoked roast, so I guess this would technically be called a Roasted Cuban Sandwich?  This made a fantastic quick dinner on a night when we had to be out at meetings within 90 minutes of husband arriving home from work.  I use gluten free bread.  I have a few brands that I am absolutely in love with, and I used my favorite thick, crusty roll for this recipe.  I also used the George Foreman Grill to smash the sandwiches down.  It melted the cheese, heated the bread, and made a minimum of mess in my kitchen.  (Important on a night when you have to be out the door 90 minutes after you walk in!)

*Note- because of hubby's dairy allergies, he used fake cheese on his sandwich.  We compromised on the grill and brushed olive oil on the outside of our sandwiches because he didn't want butter tainting his sandwich.  I really don't mind it that way!)

We served this with a salad and roasted potato wedges.


Roasted Cuban Sandwiches


Several slices of pork roast, COOKED and cut to the thickness you like
Ham (I had leftover from the last ham we had that I thawed out just for this sandwich)
Crusty rolls or bread
Mustard
Cheese of your choice - most people use Swiss
Pickles
Butter (or Non-Stick Cooking Spray, or Olive Oil)

To assemble:

Slather mustard on the bread.

Layer the ham, cheese, and pickles inside of the bread.

Press into a heated George Foreman Grill (or use your outdoor grill, with a brick on top of the sandwich to make it flat.)  Heat until the cheese is melted.


No comments:

Post a Comment