Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thankful

I have so many things to be thankful for.  I have been blessed beyond all reason.

1) I have a roof over my head.
Circumstances have been kind to us.  We have been able to buy a house in a neighborhood we love in a community with people we adore.  We have scrimped and saved in order to purchase our first house and have continued to cut corners to work at paying our mortgage off early.  Again, we are fortunate that we have jobs that allow us to pay for our house and living expenses.

2) Our Health.
Aside from oldest child's stay in the NICU when he was born, all three of the kids have been healthy.  Oh, we've had broken bones, food allergies, and assorted illnesses, but  overall, we are healthy.  As husband and I get older, we continue to focus on getting daily exercise and eating right.  Our goal is to stay healthy as we age and stay out of the medical system for as long as possible.

3) Education
Love it or hate it, our country is unique in the history of the world in that every single citizen is eligible for a free public education.  Every person learns to read and write, and an education is provided through grade 12.  It's a privilege that I think too many of us take for granted.  Even today, there are places in the world where children do not get to go to school unless if their parents have money, and many girls have to drop out of school because they fall behind their male peers due to the fact that they have to miss several days of school each month due to their menstrual cycle.

4) Food
Food on our table, food in our fridge.  I am thankful that I have always had a yard, pots, or a community garden plot to grow some vegetables.  Our jobs have provided enough money to keep food on our table every single day.  Don't think I ever underestimate what a blessing this is.

5) Employment
Speaks for itself.

6) Friends and Family
You know what they say: you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.  We are blessed indeed.  My family lives within an hour of us, my Mom is still with us (not a certainty after last year), and we have fantastic friends that I am honored to know. 

Many of my extended family has passed on, but I am thankful to have had them in my life.  Their guidance and encouragement when I was younger helped shape the person that I am today.  Without them, I wouldn't be here.  Every day, I give thanks for the tremendous impact they have had upon my life.

What about you? What are you thankful for this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment