Sunday, November 8, 2015

Pork Fried Rice (Recipe)

Fried Rice is possibly one of my favorite leftover meals.  Whenever we have leftover meat from another recipe, I can easily and quickly cut it up into small cubes, and mix it with rice and other vegetables for my own take on stir fried rice.  A lot of places will use the standard bag of frozen mixed veggies for the vegetables.  I like to think that traditional Chinese families used whatever was in season and on hand to make fried rice for their families.  This then, is my take on Fried Rice, using leftovers and food that is in season.  For this particular batch, I used items I already have on hand:  Bell Peppers, Onions, Carrots, Kale, Spinach, and celery.  I added the heartier vegetables first, and the spinach and kale once the other vegetables were crisp-tender.  As soon as the greens began to wilt, I added the meat, rice, and sauce.

A note of caution- the sauce that I use on my stir-fries is a little spicy - very reminiscent of a Szechuan sauce. 

Pork Fried Rice

1/4 pound of leftover pork, diced into small cubes
2-3 cups of rice, cooked, either brown or white
2 -3 cups of assorted vegetables, diced.  You can use a small bag of frozen mixed veggies
Optional: 1 egg, scrambled and cut into small pieces

Sauce:
3 TBSP soy sauce
2 tsp corn starch
2 TBSP dry sherry (cooking sherry)
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

In a glass measuring cup, mix the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.

Heat a large wok or skillet over medium high heat.

Add vegetables all at once, stirring until they are crisp-tender.

Add meat, stir an additional minute.

All at once, add rice and sauce, stirring well to mix.  (About 2 minutes) 

Remove from heat.

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment