Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Random Pictures





It's been a while since I posted any pictures.  I thought I'd share some that I'd gathered this past few weeks:
 
I found this little wooly bear caterpillar in the woods last week.
According to legend, the longer the orange part, the milder the winter.
Hmmm.. according to this little guy, it looks like the winter will be on the mild side!

To find out more about Wooly Bear Caterpillars, and their history with weather forecasting, check out this link to the Farmer's Almanac:
http://www.almanac.com/content/predicting-winter-weather-woolly-bear-caterpillars


The view out of my car window headed down the street.
Last year, this field was planted in wheat.
This year, it's corn.  I love driving by the corn stalks!


I got to school last week and was just stunned by the beauty of the sun breaking through the clouds on the horizon.
 
This picture is from the Gold Award workshop.
This is the page of an art journal that someone was working on.
I love the reverse image of the butterflies!
 
OMG.  I found this outside of out kitchen door on Saturday night.
At first, I thought it was a fake spider, but then it started to move.
Believe it or not, I called my husband on the cell phone and had him come outside to kill it.
He took one look at it and decided to chase it with a stick.  He was afraid it would bite him if he tried to step on it.

Research from one of our friends told us that this thing is a Brown Mouse Spider.
It's a ground dweller.  It builds tunnels in the ground to trap it's prey.
It lives up to 20 years.
It is venomous.  If anyone gets bitten by it, go to the emergency room immediately.
Great, just what I want to have living right outside of my kitchen door.

No comments:

Post a Comment