Tuesday, October 8, 2013

White Chicken Chili

I found this recipe on All Recipes quite some time ago.  I've made it several times, and it is excellent.  I've made this both as a vegetarian recipe and a meatetarian recipe.

I've made it with leftover chicken, and I've made it with fresh chicken breasts.  I've also made it with leftover turkey.    It is an excellent recipe, no matter how you make it!

This is the link to the original recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-white-chili-with-chicken/detail.aspx

I'm reprinting it here:

White Chicken Chili

1 TBSP olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth (use veggie broth if making it vegetarian)
2 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans  (I don't like garbanzos, so I don't add them)
1 cup corn kernels
1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
2 TBSP minced fresh cilantro (or 1 tsp, dried)
1 TBSP lime juice (I don't add it if I don't have it on hand)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
4 cooked chicken breast halves, cubed.  (I use 1 cup, diced of whatever I have on hand.. leftover chicken, leftover turkey, etc.)  If making the vegetarian version, skip this step.

Directions:

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat:  cook and stir onion, jalapeno, and garlic until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.  Add broth, Northern Beans, Garbanzo Beans, corn, green chiles, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, and black pepper; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and stir chicken into broth.  Cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

*Note- this is also a great crock-pot dish.  I will brown the jalapeno, onion and garlic in a saucepan, and then toss all of the ingredients into a crock pot.  Set it on low for 8 hours, and voila!  A wonderful dinner, waiting for you when you walk in the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment