Saturday, October 5, 2013

Waffle Recipe

Rob Kasper is a columnist for the Baltimore Sun.
(http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/bal-columnist-kasper,0,6387099.columnist)

His food column on Wednesdays is the only reason I subscribe to the Sun.  We receive delivery only on Weds. and the weekends.  Coincidence?  I think not!!

I love his ruminations about family, food, and how the two are so intricately intertwined. 

Way, way back in 1998, he ran an article about Sherry's Waffles, and how he had lost the waffle recipe and yet again had to call his sister in law in order to get the recipe.  The original article is here:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-03-11/features/1998070115_1_bad-recipes-found-a-recipe-stieff

I clipped that recipe out back in '98, and it has become our family favorite recipe.  These waffles are light and airy - everything a waffle is meant to be.  With minimal ingredients, the waffles are also easy on the pocket book.  When we moved to this house in 2005, I lost the recipe in the move and wrote to Mr. Kasper, who graciously sent me a copy of the recipe again.  The battered and torn page is kept in my kitchen cabinet, nestled in between Uncle Bill's Devils Food Chocolate Cake Recipe and My Mom's Apple Coffee Cake Recipe.

I am sharing it here today, with full credit given to Rob Kasper, of the Baltimore Sun.

Sherry's Waffles:

Makes 10 waffles

2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 beaten eggs
2 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup melted shortening or oil

Sift flour, salt and baking powder into one bowl. In another bowl combine eggs, milk and shortening. Just before baking, combine wet and dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. This is a thin batter. Cook in hot waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment